It’s easy to travel by train to The University of Manchester arriving at Piccadilly main line station and Oxford Road train station, with Victoria train station a little further away. For details of timetables, tickets and other rail information, please ring National Rail Enquiries on 08457 48 49 50 (+44 (0) 20 7278 5240 from overseas) or visit:
Getting to the university from Piccadilly station
The Oxford Road link bus (number 147) runs from Piccadilly Rail Station on weekdays between 7.15am and 6.45pm, at ten-minute intervals, and can be caught from the Fairfield Street entrance to Piccadilly Station.
A taxi from Piccadilly Station to the Oxford Road area of the campus will cost you about £5.
Getting to the university from Oxford Road station
To get to the Oxford Road area of the campus, go down the station approach to Oxford Road and turn right. The campus is a 10- to 15-minute walk. Alternatively, buses stop outside the Palace Hotel.
National Express coaches serve over 1,200 destinations across the UK from the Chorlton Street Coach Station, which is near Piccadilly railway station and a short walk from both University campuses. You can contact the Chorlton Street Coach Station be telephone on 08705 808080. For more information about National Express coaches, see:
Getting to the university
Walk to Whitworth Street and catch the 147 Oxford Road link bus to the Oxford Road area of the campus.
All approach routes for cars travelling are clearly signposted ‘The University of Manchester’. Select from the list below for full directions – or use a Sat Nav to post code M13 9PL:
- Cecil Street (post code M15 6GD)
- Booth Street West (post code M15 6PB)
- Booth Street East (post code M13 9SS)
The first is closest to the Mansfield Cooper Building, and costs £5 all day. The others are multi storey University Car parks where 24 hour parking will cost you approximately £10.
Our nearest airport is Manchester Airport, one of the largest and busiest in the country. It is located about 10 miles (16km) south of the city centre, about 30 minutes from the University. Most major airlines fly to and from Manchester. For more information please visit the Manchester Airport website.
The airport has a number of transport links to the city:
- Train – The airport’s two terminals are linked directly to the city centre by a fast, frequent 24-hour train link to both Piccadilly and Oxford Road stations.
- Taxi – A taxi from the airport to the University will cost approximately £20.
- Bus – Local buses also run to the Oxford Road. The 43 bus (Stagecoach Hybrid) also runs from the Airport to the Oxford Road campus and terminates at Piccadilly Gardens.
- Tram – The brand new tram link to the city centre – details at http://www.metrolink.co.uk.